Are you using Svn2Svn?

Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I'd like to collect some field stories about using Svn2Svn. Can you please describe, in just a couple of lines, where and how you are or have used it?

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Hi,

I'm using svn2svn to replicate a subset of my internal repository to the svnbridge at codeplex. My project is ShapBox.codeplex.com and implements a cloud storage api with support for the DropBox service. Svn2Svn will be triggered after every check in through the continuous integration server cruise control .net!

I hope this helps to give you an overview about my use cases.

regards

Dirk

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM

We are attempting to use it to migrate from SVN to TFS 2010.  We are using the SvnBridge to give us access to TFS as if it were SVN.  However, we've been running into a few roadblocks and it it not clear what all the dependencies are for svn2svn to work properly.  Note that we are running it from a Windows 2008 R2 x64 box.  We've dumped our main SVN repository and loaded it into a temporary VisualSVN server, which resides on the same box as TFS.  Then, we're trying to run svn2svn locally on the TFS box to do the revision replay.  Up until now, we've been trying to use the URLs for the source and destination repositories and this has not worked at all.  We keep getting reflection exceptions and/or issues with permissions.  Our next step is to try to use the local work folders that were checked out from each server.  Note that we have TortoiseSVN working just fine with the SvnBridge to TFS.  We're able to make changes.  The gap has been to replay the revisions from one to another which should work.  Others are using these tools to do it...

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I am using it to migrate over a project (xnaxen.codeplex.com) from our SVN server to CodePlex and although I had to rebuild the svn2svn.exe with 64-bit SharpSVN, so far it's working like a charm. A lot of changes for it to go through so now I just gotta wait for it to finish the rest. Awesome job, guys!

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Thanks for sharing this tool!

We are trying to move some projects out of a huge SVN repository. This seems to be promising except two problems.

1. The author/date information was not carried over as is (I know they are in comments). There is actually a way to do this. I known vss2svn project does it well.

2. SVN properties are not copied. While missing svn:ignore is just an inconvenience, missing svn:external result in build failure!

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Due to the two problems above and some other issues. I actually set out to rewrite copier according to our needs. I got it working and we have successfully migrated projects off a huge repo. It handles add/remove/modify/copy/move; copies node properties like svn:ignore and svn:external; copies author and date/time to destination repository. I'm happy to contribute back and here shamelessly linking to my blog that has detailed explanation: http://kennethxu.blogspot.com/2012/01/svn2svn-copy-and-sync-between-svn.html

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

@kennethxu: good stuff!

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM

@dblock: thanks and ping me if you are interested to merge.